Saturday, May 17, 2014

THE OUT VIGIL - Coffee Talk with Julie McIsaac

Meet Julie McIsaac, whose debut play THE OUT VIGIL is about to receive a workshop production from Twenty Something Theatre May 28-31 at the Havana Theatre. Get tickets here.


(Julie with the cast of Ordinary Days - she produced & directed because she does that too...)


1. How did you become involved with THE OUT VIGIL? 

I wrote it.

(Getting her violin in shape for The Spitfire Grill)

2. If you had to live in either Alaska or Newfoundland - which would you pick? 

Well, I've never been to Alaska - I'll admit that up front - and perhaps this answer would be different if I had… Then again, no. I'd choose Newfoundland, regardless. I grew up in Ontario, but my dad's family is from Cape Breton, and I spent some really formative time out in the Maritimes when I was a teen… it's always felt like a good fit for me, being out east. I hadn't been to Nfld when I starting writing The Out Vigil, but I did travel out there a couple years ago, and, yup, I loved it. It actually really moved me, to be honest. In the play, Danny says something about how there are some things we don't choose, that some decisions seem to have been made in our blood and bones, long before we had the ability to think about them. That's how I feel about this question.


(Directing a photo shoot for another show she directed - The Exquisite Hour)

3. What is something that you consider to be a mind-altering piece of art?

Beethoven's ninth symphony, the Ode to Joy. I mean, that was all in his HEAD, it was something he conceived, in his effing BRAIN. And it's astounding. It makes me know that we are capable of such incredible magic. Because - oh yeah - he was pretty much DEAF, right??! Good Lord.


(Not Lord of the Flies... KING LEAR)

4. What would your dream theatre project be? 

Well…. seeing as my first full-length play is actually being produced… seeing as there are actors speaking the lines, and singers singing the music…. Well. This is kinda it. Of course I would love it if we had $100,000 and could get our hands on two dozen crab pots - and had a venue that could accommodate this. So I suppose it would be a dream to do my dream version of the play… But it's pretty great to just be doing it at all. Thank-you, TST!

(As Hodel in Fiddler On The Roof)

5. Give a shout-out to someone... 

To Sabrina, for being there at the first read back in 2011, and for making this current version come to be. To Peter, for his keen observations and great faith in the project. À mon grand-père Gilbert qui jouait le violon, et à mon oncle Jacques qui jouait la guitare. J’aurais bien aimé ça vous entendre jouer ensemble.


BONUS: What's a youtube video everyone should know about?

This fishing boat in crazy rough seas…



DOUBLE BONUS: Listen to Julie in conversation with Twenty Something's Associate Artistic Producer, Brian Cochrane, HERE. They talk about The Out Vigil and a bunch of other "theatre" stuff.


No comments:

Post a Comment