Tuesday, September 17, 2013

Coffee Talk with Scott Button

Meet Scott Button playing "Howie" in Speech & Debate as his Twenty Something Theatre debut! We are very excited to have him with us!

(Scott [far left] in a wedding photo booth with friends)

Tell us your I wanna be an actor story...

I went through a phase of re-creating famous movie and TV scenes with my friends when I was growing up. After seeing the movie "Psycho" when I was nine or ten, I re-created the famous shower scene and presented it at a party my parents were having. I played both the murderer and Janet Leigh getting stabbed, and cast my friends as various inanimate objects (shower curtain, door, bathmat, etc.) It was great.

(On stage in Wild Honey at UBC with Christine Quintana and Ben Whipple)

What is your favourite role to date and why?

I really enjoyed playing "John" in A Gaggle of Saints, from Neil Labute's trio of short plays, BASH. It's a dual monologue about a young, mormon couple's weekend trip to New York - where some crazy, scary stuff goes down. Recently, I had a blast performing The Story of You and Me, which was performed as part of the site-specific play installation, Hive 3: New Bees. I co-wrote the piece with my good friend Christine Quintana, who performed in it with me. It was fifteen minutes long, made for an audience of two, and set in a winnebago from the '70s. It was fun.

If you were given the opportunity to play any role in the world, what would it be and why?

There are too many! Roles from Shakespeare, Chekhov, Edward Albee, Harold Pinter...

(Jumping for joy with cast mates Agnes Tong and Curtis Tweedie while on tour for Night Light (Green Thumb Theatre))

Why should people come out to see Speech & Debate

It's very funny - growing up can be brutal and the play pulls no punches. Despite this, it's an incredibly compassionate and hopeful story. There's also singing, dancing and flesh-coloured body suits (spoiler alert).

(Scott fending off a hair sprayer at a crowded night club)

If you had one piece of advice for aspiring young actors, those starting a training program or going to their first audition, what would it be? 

For those starting a training program, all I can say is don't compete - with others or yourself. And enjoy the people that you get to work with! 

That's some good advice! Make sure you see him on stage from Oct.2-12 (Tuesday-Saturday) in Studio 1398! Tickets on sale now - www.brownpapertickets.com

Jess Van Elk
-Producing Assistant











No comments:

Post a Comment