Thursday, June 27, 2013

Edmonton Bound

I’m not quite sure what to say. Or, how to say it. Especially as I sit at my desk in my co-working office space preparing to pack up all my crap and my super old iMac (circa 2007 old, Firefox isn’t even compatible with this system anymore, old). But, as you may have gathered by now, by the subject heading to this blog post, I am moving. To Edmonton.

Why?! I have been accepted into the MFA Theatre Design program at U of A and I start classes September 4th.

Between now and then, I am also going to Africa for a month. I was originally supposed to go in the fall but once I was accepted to the MFA program I knew I couldn’t just give up years of planning and saving so I decided to go anyways. So, now I leave for Africa in 2 weeks. I’ll be bushwacking through the Maasai Mara and Serengeti before diving in the Zanzibar Archipelago and returning home. For 2 weeks. Then Edmonton.

Don't worry I'll still be a Canucks fan even if it means getting beaten up at Rexall Place by Oilers fans

I am so excited for all of it.

I've been dreaming about going to Africa since I was a kid and I saw Reese Witherspoon in this Disney film called “A Far off Place”. I haven’t seen it since. Who knows?! It may well be the cheesiest movie of all time. All I know is that movie made me want to go to Africa so bad it’s been stuck in my mind ever since. For 20 years. And now, as an adult, I know the movie and reality are probably far from the same but still I get to check one more item off my bucket list.

From the movie "A Far Off Place". Seriously, who wouldn't want to be on this adventure?!

And, okay, I’m not going to lie and say I’m excited about the Edmonton weather. I’ve never lived anywhere colder than Vancouver my whole life. I’ve lived in other cities but all of them fairly mild and temperate much like Vancouver. So, I have no idea how I am going to fair in -15 to -30 degree weather but, hey, it’s an adventure. But, most importantly I am very excited about the program at U of A. And, excited to be become part of a whole other theatre community.

Don’t get me wrong, I love Vancouver. As was said, many times over at the Jessie awards Monday night, we have a great community and I am so grateful and proud to be a part of it. But, I’ve been feeling for awhile now the need for a change and now the time for that change has come. So, while I feel slightly anxious about leaving the home and community I have built here in Vancouver over the past 9 years, I am excited for what lies ahead. And, what lies ahead is completely unknown and that is frightening and exhilarating all at the same time.

This pretty much says it all.
What does this mean for Twenty Something?! Well, it means that things will be changing in that department too; but, I believe that is also good thing. I founded this company and have been managing it for the past 7 years. Mostly on my own. It’s time now to let the reigns go a little and eventually let them go entirely to make room for the new “next generation of artists”. By the time I’m done my MFA I most definitely won’t be “twentysomething” I’ll be more along the lines of “mid-thirtysomething” (F*ck me, that freaks me out).

But, that’s a few years away (Thank God) so as for now and the rest of 2013, everything will continue as planned with Brian directing and producing Speech & Debate. I have been wanting to program this play for a few years now but the timing has never been right so I am super excited to have Brian directing it with a phenomenal cast. This play is funny and provocative and just a whole ton of fun. I really hope, and encourage you, to all come out and support Brian in his first project with Twenty Something.

Then for a variety of reasons nothing will be planned for 2014 until after The Bomb-itty of Errors opens at The Arts Club in April of next year. Brian will be taking on more of the day to day managing of Twenty Something while I am away but overall not much will change between now and next year at this time. After that, well, we’ll figure that out. And, we’ll make announcements as to further plans for Twenty Something’s 2014 season probably some time in December later this year.

I’m still going to be actively involved in The Out Vigil project we have in development (see previous blog post) but beyond that I have no clue what life in Edmonton will bring me. So, for the most part, I am going to hand this blog over to Brian (and Jess, Producing Assistant for this year). I might post a few things every now and then but for now I’m just going to let this little video do the talking for me...



~Sabrina Evertt,
 Artistic Producer

No comments:

Post a Comment