Thursday, January 17, 2013

2013 Looking Ahead

I am not going to lie 2011 pretty much did me in. I was so burnt out that I found it pretty darn hard to find the energy to do anything in 2012. Hence, the paring down and the 6 month leave of absence in 2012.

From that I learned two very important things:

1. Twenty Something had now moved into territory where there was more work than I could successfully do on my own without killing myself.

2. I needed to get back to doing things for myself, and not just for everyone else, because when I don’t fill my own creative well I just end up feeling drained completely dry.

So, here we are in 2013, and I’ve taken time to relax, refresh and get re-energized and most importantly I’ve put the necessary things in place to help me move forward and not kill myself:

1. I convinced Brian to come join me at Twenty Something and, I think I can speak for us both when I say, we’re pretty excited about our 2013 season plus we’ve got some pretty hefty plans for the company over the next 3 years. It’s an exciting time for Twenty Something Theatre.

2. And, I’m very excited to move back into the director’s seat with the world premiere of Sean’s new play. By the time we start rehearsals for Us & Everything We Own in March it will be 2 years since I directed a play for Twenty Something. Considering it’s a company I founded that’s quite a long period of time. But, I needed the time to get inspired again and now the time is right.

Plus, last year was just a pretty dismal and depressing year for us all involved in Arts & Culture as we witnessed the demise the Vancouver Playhouse. I know that it greatly affected me and my perspective. Trust me I had very few positive things to say at the time. And, that’s rare for me, I’m usually a pretty optimistic person.

So, as Norman Armour said last night at the Opening of Club PuSh, “it’s about time we changed the freakin' narrative on Arts & Culture here in Vancouver” to which he received a thunderous applause. And, I couldn’t agree more. We’ve got a lot of amazing theatre in this city so it’s time to brush off the dust from 2012 and move into a shiny, new and exciting 2013.

And, if the show I saw last night at the kick off to Club PuSh, 2btheatre & Hawksley Workman’s The God That Comes, is any indication of what is to come at the PuSh Festival this 2013, it is about to blow the roof of the proverbial house. I sh*t you not. My mind is still blown from the talent of that man. He not only played multiple instruments and sang (as well as obviously writing the music and lyrics) but he also played multiple characters and told a story. A funny and terrifying story. I took my brother and he said as we left “that is the best thing I have seen in a helluva long time." Buy, beg, borrow, steal a ticket and just go.

(Photo courtesy PuSh Festival. Photographer: Blake Sitter)

While I just managed to snap up a ticket last minute to The God That Comes I will be doing some blogging, as I do every year, for the PuSh Festival so look out for upcoming posts on Ride The Cyclone and I, Malvolio plus possibly a preview piece on The Strange Undoing of Prudencia Hart.

So, here’s to a fruitful, optimistic, inspiring and energizing 2013! I think it’s gonna be a great year!

~Sabrina Evertt
Artistic Producer

No comments:

Post a Comment