Saturday, March 10, 2012

What Just Happened?! Part 2

So, I woke up this morning edited and posted the blog I wrote yesterday. I think its sufficient to say that I was in the Denial stage of the 5 stages of Grief. Now I’ve moved into Anger.

And, what I am about to say, may not make me popular, but I don’t care (maybe I’m having my own personal Jerry Maguire moment) but it needs to be said.

We, as a community, need to stop talking the talk and start walking the walk. Actions speak louder than words.

Tonight there is an event being planned, The Vancouver Playhouse Memorial/Rally (For more details please click here and it will take you the Facebook page). I received this invite early this morning and immediately went to look at the page. On the wall there were many people who had posted something along the lines of “Sorry, I have a show tonight, but I’ll be there in spirit”.

Which, as I took my morning walk around the seawall, started to make me angrier and angrier.

What the fuck [apologies] is wrong with us?!?! 

Regardless of whether this event is a “Memorial” or a “Rally” every single Artistic Director, General Manager, Arts Administrator, Actor, Director, Designer, etc, etc, etc should be at the Playhouse tonight. Full stop.

Every theatre company in this city could go dark tonight in solidarity with the Playhouse. It could happen. It could be done. If we really truly believed that the Playhouse closing actually mattered. Every theatre company could tell it’s patrons tonight, who clearly like theatre or wouldn’t have bought tickets, to instead go stand at the Playhouse tonight. We as a community could drop everything we’re doing and show up and stand in solidarity with Playhouse tonight. We could. So why aren’t we?!

How can we call ourselves a community if we’re not walking the walk? We all talk about how we should go out and see theatre and support each other. But, I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again, it boggles my mind the amount of theatre artists who don’t even go to see theatre. Where is the community in that?!

This event, rally or memorial, is our chance to show ourselves, and each other, that we actually are a community. That we actually do support one another. We are being given a crucial moment that allows us, as a community to stop talking the talk, and actually show up.

It’s not enough to say “Oh, that’s so sad” and then turn around to our friends and say "So, where are we going to watch the game tonight?” (And, I love the Canucks as much as the next person). Words don’t matter. Actions do.

Because if we can’t even prove to ourselves that we are a community that shows up and supports each other why in the world should we expect anyone else to show up and support us?

Every single theatre company, artist and theatre patron should be at the Playhouse tonight. Because if we can’t rally for one night in support of a Canadian theatre institution that is part of our history and made us who were are today then we’re fucked [apologies]. And I don’t say that lightly.

I will be at the Playhouse tonight. I hope to see you there. I hope to see the entire community there. Could you imagine what it would say if indeed all the theatres in Vancouver did go dark and the thousands of theatre artists and theatre lovers in this community did show up?

That alone would be cause for celebration regardless of what ends up happening to the Playhouse in the end.

~Sabrina Evertt
Artistic Producer

No comments:

Post a Comment