Monday, March 26, 2012

Coffee Talk with David Kaye

At the Bomb-itty fundraiser back in February, David got up on stage and out of nowhere just started rapping. And he killed it. So, as soon as I heard that, I thought to myself "oh, this Bomb-itty show is gonna be good!". His enthusiasm is infectious and from what I've seen he commits to every thing he's doing on stage 110%. He's doing backflips and beatboxing and he's pretty damn funny too!! One of my favourite parts of Bomb-itty is the reggae beat when David is playing Dr. Pinch, a rastafarian doctor. 

(David and his dog MJ)

What is your favourite role to date and why?

I have had many amazing opportunities over the years and I have a hard time just choosing one. In the realm of theatre, I’d have to say either Tybalt in Theatre at UBC’s Romeo and Juliet (also, coincidentally directed by Catriona Leger) or Matt (aka Pig-Pen) in Fighting Chance’s production of Dog Sees God. They were both such fun to play. They were both antagonists, and I just love being an asshole - but they each had a tragic personal reality that made them multi-faceted characters. For Tybalt, I also got to play with daggers and have all sorts of epic stage combat. We got to work through it with Nick Harrison, which is hands down the most fun I’ve had getting beat up. And for Matt, I got to say things and act in a way that is just unacceptable in real life. 

Tell us your “I wanna be an actor” story…

I was almost 4 years old when a film expo came to Vancouver. I went with my mother to see how films were made and to learn all about “Movie Magic”. While we were walking around an agent spotted me and approached my mother. She proceeded to tell us that I could be in movies, gave us her card and arranged a meeting with us for later. Shortly after, I went to my first audition for Legends of the Fall and booked it. I continued to work throughout elementary school as a child actor. When I hit the “tween phase” I broke into voice overs and although I looked too young to play a teenager, and too old to play a child on screen, I could do both for cartoons. By the time I looked old enough to get back in front of the camera, I decided that I wanted to actually learn how to act. So, I took myself off the market and I enrolled in UBC’s BFA Acting program. I graduated in April 2011, and am having a blast doing exactly what I want to do. 


 (That's David on Brad Pitt's shoulders!)

How many characters do you play in Bomb-itty and what’s your favourite one?

One primary, two secondary and two tertiary characters – Dromio of Syracuse, Dr. Pinch, Desdemona, a back-up singer, and a little surprise cameo from – well, if I told you, it wouldn’t be a surprise. 

Why should people come out to see the The Bomb-itty of Errors?

There are so many reasons to come and see this show. The costumes are vibrant, the set is fresh, the DJ is not only mixing live, but he’s kinda cute too. Not only is there a bar, but it is open throughout the show. We have a fantastic cast and a phenomenal crew. This is not a show to miss. 

If you had one piece of advice for aspiring young actors, those just starting a training program or going to their first audition, what would it be?

HAVE FUN! When you don’t have fun, it shows. Don’t be afraid to fail, and when you do, you have to be able to let it go. The Magic School Bus’ Ms. Frizzle said it best, “Take chances, make mistakes, get messy!” Don’t forget to enjoy the process. Sometimes you get bogged down with everything that you need to get done, instead of just focusing on what you need to do next. If you have fun and give yourself the freedom to fall flat on your face, you can pick yourself up, dust yourself off with a smile on your face and do anything. 

Today David and the rest of the Bomb-itty boys start their last week of rehearsals before we all move into the venue next week! Catch them all on stage starting next Wednesday!! More information at www.thebombittyoferrors.com

~Sabrina Evertt
Artistic Producer

No comments:

Post a Comment