Monday, September 12, 2011

What a Year (or Season)!

This year has been in no particular order:

STRESSFUL, EXCITING, AMAZING, ENLIGHTENING, INSPIRING, SUCCESSFUL, SCARY, DRAMATIC, HUMOUROUS, ABSURD, BEAUTIFUL, AWKWARD, BIZARRE, EXQUISITE, FASCINATING, TRUTHFUL, CHARITABLE, ETC…

In January, as the new year began, I had already set in motion a 3-show season, something Twenty Something Theatre had never done before. Not only was the company embarking on its first 3-show season we were also embarking on the rather daunting task of mounting of our first production where every single person was paid, not just a profit share or an honourarium, but a full contract fee. EXCITING, yes. SCARY, you bet. And, all this was done with minimal funding. For just that one show only alone approx. $4000 came from funding (thanks to the City of Vancouver) and the other approx. $16, 000 was raised through sponsorship, donations, & other fundraising initiatives/events. Plus we still had 2 other shows to mount and produce. So…STRESSFUL, uh yeah, that might be the understatement of the century. But, SUCCESSFUL, most definitely.

We opened the year with our Spotlight production of Nocturne by Adam Rapp where I had the great pleasure of finally working with a friend and colleague after talking about working together for 5 years.

Then after 2 and ½ years of development we presented our first original production and the World Premiere of Prodigals. I could write about this experience all day and still not do it justice. So, I guess I will just say that without a doubt this show, the people, the experience, will forever be in my memory as one of the best moments of my career. Without a doubt.

Finally we closed our season, literally just over a week ago, with Tough! by George F. Walker. And, what a great way to end a season! Such a strong show and I’m so proud as an Artistic Producer to be able to bring such amazing artists together to create a production of this calibre. Nothing gives me greater pleasure. Honestly. I’m not just saying that.

And, so with that we wrap up the year, and to close this post I just want to send out a huge thank you to all the people who have worked on, volunteered, donated to, came out to see & who just generally support our work. It has been an incredible year because of all of you. I am just filled with so much gratitude because I’ve come to understand that all the good stuff in life happens at the precipice of terror and bravery. And, this precipice between terror and bravery is in a nutshell how I would describe this past year (or season).

Thank you somehow doesn’t seem enough but there it is.

~Sabrina Evertt
Artistic Producer

No comments:

Post a Comment