Friday, January 14, 2011

One-Man Show

SPOTLIGHT 2011 returns and this year we return to the year of the actor. Three years ago as our inaugural SPOTLIGHT production we presented The Fever performed by long time Twenty-Something collaborator Kirsten Kilburn. Now, we look forward to having another actor join the ranks in our second “one-man show”.

I’m not going to lie, I’m a big fan of the “one-man show”. I like watching them. I like working on them. So, a couple years ago when I first came across Nocturne and read the play, I just knew that this was a play I wanted to work on for Twenty-Something. It’s so poetic. In rehearsal the other day we talked about it being modern Shakespeare. Yes, it is prose and not iambic pentameter but it is poetry nonetheless. However, I still needed to find an actor, to do it. Not everyone can carry off a “one-man show”.

I’ve known this actor for approximately 5 years now, I guess. We both have mutual friends. I’ve worked along side him at the Walking Fish Festival. The first year we did the festival I was assistant directing and he was acting. The next we were both directing. I’ve seen him perform in various productions including Coriolanus and Moon for the Misbegotten (both directed by Jack Paterson). We’ve always talked about working together on something but nothing ever came up or worked out until now.

So, without further ado, I introduce Troy Anthony Young and hope that you will all come out to see what I think will be a pretty powerful performance.


Originally from Leduc, Alberta, Troy trained at The Victoria School for the Performing Arts, is a graduate of Red Deer College’s Theatre Studies Program, and holds a Bachelor of Fine Arts from the renowned University of Alberta’s Acting Program. Most recently, he was seen in Rogue Insomniac’s Comfort at the Havana, as well as at the Winnipeg Fringe Festival. Previous to that, he performed in Spokesong at the Serca Irish Theatre Festival (Prospero Theatre) in Edmonton. Other theatre credits include Faustmachine (Walking Fish Festival), King John (7 Tyrants), The China Tea Deal (7 Tyrants), Coriolanus (Coriolanus / Mad Duck Co-op), Three Rings for Michelle (Stone’s Throw / Pacific Theatre), Supermarket Scuffle (Binky Productions), Moon for the Misbegotten (United Players), Grace (Sawhorse Theatre), crackbabykind (Nextfest, Edmonton), Thinking With Jerome (Dead English Theatre). Film and television credits include Deranged, Helix, 668 and Supernatural.

Advance single tickets are available at Tickets Tonight or you can purchase a 3-ticket Season Flex Pass at TicketLeap.

See you all the show!

~Sabrina Evertt
Artistic Producer

No comments:

Post a Comment