Thursday, December 16, 2010

Things Need To Change

So, here we are again. A new year is upon us soon complete with a new season and a new batch of shows. And, a new batch of shows means new casts. And, new casts means one thing: auditions.

The past two years of auditions has been H-E-double-hockey-sticks. No joke. You can read a variety of my posts on the subject spanning a spectrum of emotion from bewilderment to anger & frustration.

For this year, one thing was clear to me: things need to change.

So, instead of holding auditions for specific productions we are holding General Auditions. This means I get to go into the audition room and just sit back and relax and see what kind of talent comes across my path. I don’t have any of the pressure of worrying about casting for a specific show because casting for specific productions & roles will be done later.

Moreover, I’m especially tired of the apathetic attitudes that seem to proliferate this city. So this year I am putting my hard-ass helmet on and setting up some strict, non-negotiable, rules:

1) Every actor submission will require a cover letter that states why they are interested in working with Twenty-Something Theatre and a brief overview of their most recent work. You can view the actual post here.

No cover letter. No audition. No exceptions.

2) If we can’t open the files you submit or you forget to attach the documents: No audition, No exceptions.

It is not our job to chase after you. It is your job to do your due diligence. You can read this great post at Lois Backstage on tips for actor submissions.

The actors in the city are enormously talented. Many whom I adore. Many whom I call good friends. But many also just can’t seem to get out of their own way and it is extremely disappointing.

It’s called tough love people.

So, this is my advice to all the wonderful actors in this city: It is time to stop. It is time to get your act together and get out of your own way. It is time to rise to the challenge or get left behind.

Because from here on out, at Twenty-Something Theatre, you will be held up to a higher standard. I am only interested in working with actors who are committed to their craft. Actors who are advocates for their work and who are advocates for the theatre community in general.

Apathy just won’t cut it anymore.

~Sabrina Evertt
Artistic Producer

No comments:

Post a Comment