Monday, November 1, 2010

Fall Hiatus

In 3 days I’m officially on fall hiatus.

5 years ago, it used to be that we did one show which I maybe starting planning for 6-8 months before with really the last 2 months being a lot of work. Then I added another smaller show which was a little more work but nothing that took over my life. Next I started applying for grants which meant over a year’s worth of planning going into our summer production.

Then came Prodigals which by the time we have our official World Premiere in May next year I will have spent almost 2 and half years developing and producing since I first took script submission back in February 2009. Awesome! But, whoa.

Now with season planning and grants coming out the ying-yang plus long range planning it feels like a never ending workload which to a workaholic like myself is not helpful. It feels like since last November when I wrote the post “In The Slow Times” like I’m never going to have another “slow time” ever again in my life which isn’t a bad thing. It’s just...whoa.

So, I’m taking a hiatus and I’m going to force myself to do as little work as possible. The grants are done and sent in. Now we just wait. The things that absolutely need to be done are done. The rest can wait a month. No one will die.

So, I’m off to Toronto (and then to NYC for a week) in 3 days and I can’t believe how excited I am. It’s not even exotic or in a different country (well except New York for a week) or on a different continent or anything. It’s Toronto. And, trust me (sorry all you Torontonians that might be reading this) it’s not anything special. It’s just that I get a break. For a whole month! I could be going to Timbucktoo and I’d be excited.

And, mostly I’m super excited about all the awesome theatre I’m going to see. I’ve already got a list a mile long for New York. I think that’s pretty much all I’m going to do with the exception of eat and go to Century 21. Oh, and maybe the MoMA.

So, if you’re in TO or NYC and you follow me on twitter or read this blog, drop me a line I’d love to meet up and chat. I could talk theatre until I’m blue in the face (just ask Simon or Lois). Wait a second...

Didn’t I just say I was going to do as little theatre work as possible?

Well, you can’t win ‘em all. As long as I’m not writing grants, drafting letters, crunching numbers or obsessively checking my email then it’s all good. Watching and talking is okay. Oh, and I promise to blog a little if I see an awesome show that I want to share with you guys.

So, sayonara, adios & arrivederci Vancouver, I will see you in a month’s time.

~Sabrina Evertt
Artistic Producer

No comments:

Post a Comment