Saturday, October 9, 2010

I Hate Halloween

Hello, my name is Sabrina, and I’m a costume designer that hates Halloween. There I said it. Halloween is probably my least favourite day of the year. Some of you hate Valentine's Day well I hate Halloween. Okay, maybe “hate” is a strong word but “strongly dislike” could be appropriate.

Maybe you can trace it back to being traumatized as a kid when I got chicken pox twice on Halloween and couldn’t go out trick or treating. (The doctors like to tell us that once you get chicken pox you are immune. Well I’m living proof that’s a bold-face lie.) Maybe it is because I have a deep-rooted fear of all horror movies involving someone being possessed by the devil. (Blood and Guts. All Good. Scary Devil. Bad.) Who knows?! All I know is that I "strongly dislike" a once-a-year day that most people love.

Every year around the beginning of October, I get the same question, mostly from people who don’t know me very well or I’ve just recently met. I tell them I’m a costume designer and they ask “What are you going to be for Halloween?” eyes wide with anticipation that I’m going to announce some phenomenal costume that will blow their minds. And when I say “you know, I haven’t really given it much thought” they look at me as though I’m crazy. Okay, call me crazy, but I haven’t been thinking about what I’m going to be for Halloween since November 1st of the previous year because I’ve spent the past year worrying about costumes for a variety of other projects. So, I’m sorry to disappoint, but my Halloween costume falls to approx #99 on a list of 100 things I need to do in a year.

So, yes, part of the reason, I "strongly dislike" Halloween is that I spend most of my year making costumes as a job. Yes, I love my work. But, when it comes to my time off, the idea of coming up with and/or making another costume is about as appealing as… drinking piss. Okay, maybe not that bad, but it is definitely not high on the list of the things I would choose to do because to me it just feels like more work.

But part of it is also that Halloween in many respects isn’t really about the costumes anyways. For most young people, it’s just another reason to party or for girls to dress up like whores. (Wow, I’m officially starting to sound old). Again, call me crazy, but my top priority in life isn’t deciding whether this year I’m going to be a slutty nurse or a slutty school girl…or a slutty witch or a slutty…okay, you get the picture. Halloween is generally not about making up a creative costume. For girls it’s about doing the one thing you can’t do the rest of the year without risking social judgement and that is wearing lingerie as actual clothing. And, for the guys, well hell, I think that is pretty self-explanatory (read above statement).

All you need to do is a search in Google Images for ‘Halloween Costumes” and you will find among many other examples this:



So, no, I haven’t given my costume much thought. Well that’s a lie because the truth is I haven’t given my costume any thought. The truth is I probably won’t even dress up. Yes, folks, sometimes the truth hurts.

And, the truth is, I hate Halloween.

~Sabrina Evertt
Artistic Producer

1 comment:

  1. Very funny post!!

    I actually love Halloween but know many who don't. I wrote about it too. 5 ways to cope with this holiday. Enjoy :)

    http://www.chicagonow.com/blogs/stop-and-blog-roses/2010/10/5-ways-to-cope-with-halloween.html

    ReplyDelete