Friday, January 15, 2010

A Canadian Genius

It’s mid-January and that means the Olympics are bearing down on us. I see more and more signs warning drivers of street closures. I see buildings and tents being constructed all over town. It also means that Robert Lepage, one of the most influential Canadian theatre artists of all time, is going to be in town in 15 days. And, I am going to have the great privilege to work behind the scenes on his creation The Blue Dragon. If nothing else, I am a grateful to the Vancouver 2010 Olympics for this.

I’ve known since the fall that there was a very good possibility I would be working on this production as Head of Wardrobe but it was a matter of scheduling and timing and today I signed the contract. It is pretty exciting stuff.

Most Canadian theatre artists have heard of or, if fortunate enough, seen the work of Robert Lepage. For me it all started in University because not only was he a huge component of my 2nd year theatre history course but my design professor was obsessed with his work. So, not only did I study about his influence on Canadian theatre but I also saw slide after slide after slide of examples of the design behind his work. Then he came to Vancouver Playhouse as part of their 2002/2003 season with his show The Far Side of the Moon and I got to experience first-hand what everyone was talking about. And, now 7 years later, I have the amazing opportunity to go behind the scenes, see how it all works and be part of making it all happen.

I’m not sure what to expect but, I can tell you one thing, I’m sure it will be an experience I will never forget.

~Sabrina Evertt
Artistic Producer

No comments:

Post a Comment