Saturday, December 19, 2009

My Three Hats

So I realized just in the last couple of days that after almost 10 months of blogging I haven’t told you about me. The “About Me” section of the blog is about the company and, while I’ve introduced you to the people I’ve worked with, I’ve never introduced to you to me. So - here we go – a little more about the person behind most of the posts you read on this blog:

The first theatrical production I saw that made me want to do this thing we call “theatre” was Angels in America by Tony Kushner. I was in Grade 10 and my high school drama teacher took our class to see the touring production that stopped at the Queen Elizabeth Theatre here in Vancouver. Her name is Ms. St Cyr and boy did she have some balls taking a bunch of high school kids to see a play with male nudity! She, like many other teachers, and my other high school drama teacher Ms. Cave, fostered in me a love for the arts. They supported me and encouraged me and had the amazing nerve to take us to see what many people might deem inappropriate for high school kids. But, I for one, am glad they did because it helped me see that theatre really can change the way the world thinks. I still believe this. I always will.

The first person who told me I was going to be a Producer some day was my third year directing professor at the University of Victoria. His name is Peter McGuire and how in the world he ever foretold that is still beyond me. I remember sitting in his office one day during office hours chatting about something or other when he said to me “you’re going to produce someday”. In my head, I scoffed a little, because I wanted to be a director NOT a producer. Low and behold four years later I directed AND produced the first theatre production, This Is Our Youth by Kenneth Lonergan, for what would become Twenty-Something Theatre.

I became a costume designer by accident. Crazy but true. It was May 2004 and I was graduating from the theatre program at UVic. I saw a posting looking for people for the upcoming “Shakespeare in the Summer” festival and sent in my application. I thought maybe I could do stage management or something like that but the director of As You Like It, Libby Mason, offered me a position doing costumes. I thought to myself, "well, I did take all the costume design courses possible, so why not?!" I said, yes, and the rest, as we say, is history.

So, there you go, a little more about me. These are a few of my the moments in my life where I look back and think, I didn’t know it then, but that moment really changed my life. I really can’t thank those people who encouraged me - or who saw something in me that I hadn’t yet seen myself - enough.

So, to all of you wherever you are, Happy Holidays and all the best for a wonderful New Year!

~Sabrina Evertt
Artistic Producer

No comments:

Post a Comment