Saturday, October 10, 2009

Inspiration

In my last few blog posts before I left for Toronto I talked a bit about inspiration or a lack thereof. I went to Toronto seeking something inspired. Little did I know that come October inspiration would be a 10-minute drive away from where I live.

That inspiration lives at The Cultch with DualMinds and their play Any Night. Written and performed by Daniel Arnold and Medina Hahn this play is something extraordinary. And, I do not say that often. As a play it is witty and dark. It is complex, challenging AND entertaining. As actors performing this piece they are both brilliant. I will try not to spoil it for all those who haven’t seen it yet (and who should. Yes now. Go buy your tickets before it is sold-out. You DO NOT want to miss this) but Daniel Arnold does an incredible job of making the audience both love and hate him. Not an easy feat. Medina Hahn is equally as wonderful. Is she just paranoid? Or, is there in fact something strange happening in the building where she resides? I’m not going to tell you you’ll just have to go see it to find out. Directed by Ron Jenkins (of Black Rider fame), he does an incredible job of bringing all the design elements and story together to create a unified, beautiful production.

Back in 2007, both Twenty-Something (with our production of The Shape of Things) and DualMinds were part of the now defunct Summer at the Waterfront series. They were presenting their first creation Tuesdays & Sundays. I didn’t have the chance to see it then and after seeing Any Night today do I ever regret that now. Don’t you regret not going to check out their newest venture. Any Night plays at The Cultch from now until October 17.

I strongly believe that when one of us succeeds we all succeed so go check it out and support your local theatre community.

~Sabrina Evertt
Artistic Producer

No comments:

Post a Comment