Tuesday, September 8, 2009

New Life in Me

In my very first blog post I wrote:

“In an attempt to join the rest of the social networking world I am creating a blog for our upcoming production Unidentified Human Remains and the True Nature of Love by Brad Fraser. The idea is that as we go along the production and design team, as well as the cast and crew, will blog about the process. The good, the bad and the ugly.”

And, while I (and or other members of the cast & crew) did blog about the process, it turned out to be so much more than just a “production blog”. I ended up blogging about ideas just as much as I blogged about the production itself and I realized something: I have a voice and I am going to use it.

So, looks like you’re stuck with me.

But, where to go from here? Obviously I will still blog about our productions and things that are happening with the company; however, what about those in between times? Well that is less defined and we’ll just have to take that as it comes.

In 3 days I am off to Toronto for the rest of September through to possibly mid-October. There are many reasons I am going: i) for TIFF (Toronto International Film Fest) ii) the opportunity to possibly be a part of a few productions and iii) just to get some new life into me.

It's the third one that is actually the most important to me. I’ve been in Vancouver for 5 years now, working away, and that was the plan. When I moved back here from Victoria my plan was to just put my nose to the grindstone and see what happens. Well a lot has happened and I’m so proud of that. I work professionally as a costume designer and I started my own successful theatre company. And, I’m not even thirty yet.

But recently, I’ve started to feel that restlessness because I find that I’m often bored and uninspired by what is happening around me. And, that is not necessarily about anyone else. It is about me. I need to have new experiences and meet new people. I need to find that energy and freshness and sense that all things are possible again. When we stick in one place or one community I find that it becomes so easy to get bogged down by negativity and this sense of hopelessness and it just crushes our own sense of wonder and creativity.

And, if there is one thing I never want to be is bored and negative. Life is too short for that. I want to be passionate and excited and energetic about what I am doing. So, I am off to Toronto to find that energy again.

And, I promise to blog all about it…

~Sabrina Evertt,
Artistic Producer

1 comment:

  1. Hey Sabrina, I'll be passing through TO on my way to Kitchener (and back) on September 17th and probably September 20th. I'd love to hear about things out in Vancouver if you'd like to meet up for a coffee or lunch. DM me on twitter and we can switch contact info.

    ReplyDelete