This is neither fun nor exciting but it does make you take a moment to reflect on (hopefully) the progress you’ve made in the last year. You can see where some things may have gone off track or where you made a brilliant leap forward. So, instead of thinking of it as a chore maybe we should start thinking of it as an opportunity to learn and set new goals for the year ahead.
What happened this past year:
- We added a second show during the winter: The Fever by Wallace Shawn.
- Audience attendance went up again. Not in leaps and bounds like the previous year but by a steady 6.5%
- We secured another media sponsor: The Westender
- We started working together with another local independent theatre, Pi Theatre, in order to help us raise funds
- We fundraised over $5000 through various methods such as corporate sponsorship, running concession(s) and individual donations.
- We got a proper website up and running that is easy for us to use and modify ourselves.
- Actor & Director interviews for The Fever appeared on The Next Stage and CiTR Radio 109.1
- The Fever was chosen as part of the Georgia Straight’s Winter Preview
- A photo preview of SubUrbia appeared on the Fashion Magazine website.
- Our shows were reviewed by the Vancouver Courier, Globe & Mail, Westender, The Republic of East Van, Review Vancouver, CiTR Radio 109.1.
Some goals set for this year:
- Continue to grow our audiences (evaluate in September)
- Acquire Charitable Status (working on it)
- Continue to work with other local independent theatre companies in order to help raise funds (DONE: Patrick Street Productions)
- Secure a season sponsor (DONE: Nexus Investment Corporation)
- Hire a publicist (DONE: Jodi Smith…and she’s already acquired an interview with the Vancouver Province)
- Get professional publicity photos (DONE: David Cooper took some amazing shots)
- Increase social media presence (Well…I think that one pretty much speaks for itself since I am writing this in my Blog that I will then link to my Twitter account).
All in all I’m pretty happy with the progress we made last year and I am extremely happy with the progress we’ve made so far this year. Let’s hope it continues.