Thursday, June 4, 2009

A Blog about Nothing

So, I haven’t posted a blog in over a week. And in 3 days I am going on holidays for two weeks which means basically no posts for 3 weeks (besides this one which to be fair is not really a blog post but just me bathering on). I know, I know. You are right now all crying and wailing and saying “god, no…no posts for 3 weeks what will I do with myself”. Single Tear.

So with that in mind I am now blogging about nothing even after a lengthy discussion with @thenextstagemag (Twitter id) about bloggers who write about not being able to blog. I just thought, hey, what the heck, I might as follow the pack and throw a blog about nothing into the mix.

This is just me and my stream of consciousness. Seinfeld-style. Although I wouldn’t claim to be nearly as funny. Like maybe 0.01%.

Oh, I hear a question. Someone is asking but didn’t you just go on holidays? Yes, yes, I did. I do lead a rather charmed life. Just kidding. Sort-of.

The last trip to San Diego to visit friends was a last minute sort of deal. This trip has been planned for practically a year. Where I am going? Another good question. To paradise….


Kauai, Hawaii. My favourite of the Hawaiian islands. I practically grew up there when I was a kid. My grandparents owned a condo there with a bunch of their friends. And, if I was American I might just move there, forget this whole theatre thing, open a yoga studio and be a freakin’ beach bum the rest of my life. Seriously.

But unfortunately I am not American and us Canadians do not own any tropical lands. I think Vancouver is probably as tropical as it gets. Running off to Nunavut, building an igloo and running a dog-sledding business just doesn’t have the same appeal. Although, it might be “cool” (ha, ha, bad joke) for a few months.

Hmmm...so, how can I link this to theatre? Honestly, I’m not even going to try because there is more to life than theatre.

What?! Did I just say that?!

Us theatre types tend to get so caught up in our little bubbles that we forget that life exists outside the madness and chaos we call theatre. Usually we are working on theatre, and if we aren’t making a living doing theatre, we are also working some other job to sustain us while we do theatre. We live, eat and breath theatre. And it can become an all-consuming, makes-you-want-to-pull-your-hair-out and-scream, kind of thing. That is why I try (try being the operative word here) really hard to maintain some semblance of balance with the outside world and going on holidays (as often as I can) is part of that.

And, proof in the pudding, I just linked this blog about nothing to theatre (topic: theatre burn-out) without even meaning to. I just started writing and look where I ended up: talking about theatre.

So I bid you adieu for the next couple of weeks. I’m going to try (again operative word) not to even think about theatre. Just palm trees and pineapple and cute surfer boys and birds of paradise and lappert’s ice cream and sandy beaches. And did I mention cute surfer boys?!

Ok, enough of my rambling, peace out, hang ten…whatever the saying is….

~Sabrina
Just another crazy theatre obsessed girl about town

2 comments:

  1. Very cool blog. Read all of your posts. I'm a writer, so all things literary, theater are of interest to me.

    Thanks for sharing, Tristan.

    PS: Have a nice holiday....

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like your blog about nothing post. I feel like I've been suffering from burn out lately and I just came back from vacation...and am still blogging about vacation because I don't feel like blogging about theatre again yet. My point is, it's your blog, you do what you want...and I love it!

    Also, I LOVE Hawaii. I might just move there and become a beach bum. I'm a Canadian with privileges. Although I've never been to Kauai, I'm a Kona kind of girl. So take lots of pictures, I'd love to see it...and really, Canada needs to invade/purchase a tropical island.

    Enjoy your vacation, relax, have fun, and don't feel guilty for not blogging!

    ReplyDelete