Monday, May 25, 2009

Marketing 101: Part Deux

Last time in this series I left off on the topic of branding. Now, the question is, how did I create a “brand” for Twenty-Something Theatre.

Well when you have approx $0 dollars to work with it’s not like you can just go out and hire some Marketing superstar to create an entire brand for you so where do you start?

Well, we started with our visuals: flyers, posters, etc. As much as the old standards of marketing aren’t as effective as they use to be. You still need to have some kind of image. Something that will tell your audiences what the company/play is about: your brand (you see where I’m going with this and how it all connects).

And, personally I think it is SO important to have a strong image that looks professional. So I hired a professional. When I see a messy/poorly thought out graphic I look at it and think well if the poster is messy then the production is going to be low quality. And, while this isn’t necessarily the case, don’t judge a book by the cover and all that, it is the reality. We all make judgements based on appearance whether we like to admit it or not.

So, do people come out to see the play just because of the poster? Probably not. But at least it starts the conversation out on a good note. If done well these visuals will make a great first impression. Then it is up to me, and the production, to create an ongoing connection that will lead them into the theatre.

Now, the real question: how did I do this with approx $0 dollars? See my posts on fundraising & budgeting. I decided what was going to be most important and allocated $$$ for it.

His posters always get SO much attention. I have had numerous people comment on the quality and ask me who does our posters. Most of the posters he has done for us have won awards around the world. So, has my $$$ been well spent. I think so but I don’t know everything so you tell me…

Summer 2007

Winter 2008

Summer 2008

Winter 2009

(Click on the image to see a larger version)

Who is this guy? His name is Andrew Lewis and right now he is working away in his studio on our next poster for “Remains”. I can’t wait to see what he’s got up his sleeve for this one. The poster graphic should be in my hands soon. When it is, I promise to post and give you all a sneak peek so keep checking back in.

~Sabrina Evertt
Artistic Producer

1 comment:

  1. Just wonderful. 20 Something has always had my favourite theatre posters ever, hands down.

    ReplyDelete