Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Actors in This City

Before I left on my holiday in the sun I had just finished wrapping up this year's auditions plus earlier in the month I had posted a blog “Auditioning: A little Advice”. This is my follow up to that blog.

Overall I was impressed with everyone who came to audition: people showed up on time with their headshots and resumes. There were no wild costumes or crazy props. That being said there was one glaringly obvious item that I touched on in my last auditioning blog but didn’t discuss in too much detail.

And that is the no-show.

This boggles my mind. I can’t remember it being this bad the first couple of years. I remember last year there being quite a few no-shows but on the Wednesday night of the auditions 50% of the actors that confirmed (yes, they even confirmed that they were coming) failed to show up. That is insane! I thought to myself, what is happening? Is this just me? Then I realized, no, it’s actually a Vancouver thing.

I was talking to Peter Boychuk, Playwright/Director who also does Communications at the Alliance for Arts and Culture, afterwards and he was telling me the same thing happened to him in the Fall when he was holding his auditions. He has lived and worked across Canada from Montreal to Banff to Vancouver and he said, and I quote, “I have NEVER seen it this bad”. Then yesterday as I was catching up on my blog reading after being away for a week I read Simon’s (Ogden, The Next Stage) interview with Ben Ratner. Simon asks him “Speaking as an instructor, what is the single most common problem neophyte acting students have to overcome?” Ben’s answer: “Laziness. And it’s not just the neophytes”.

This just blows my mind. I cannot for the life of me understand how any actor thinks they are going to get anywhere by sitting around on their butts waiting for the next Spielberg to discover them. Because I hate to be the one to break it to you but people, seriously, this is NOT going to happen. You have to work at it. This means going out there and auditioning for each and every show you can. This is the only way you are going to improve. The more you audition and work at it, the more parts you will get, and the more parts you get, the more experience you will get, which in turn leads to bigger and better roles, etc so on and so forth.

It’s called perseverance.

And, you better believe that if you have confirmed ahead of time that you will be there and then fail to show, that with me, your ship has sailed. There is no room for laziness in my company. Plus the main thing I have a hard time wrapping my head around is by failing to show up for auditions you are basically burning bridges with people in this industry. Isn’t the idea to open doors for yourself so that you can go further with your career rather than slam them closed?!

~Sabrina Evert
Artistic Producer

1 comment:

  1. I never could wrap my head around this kind of thing in theatre school. And I'm not shocked to hear it exists in the professional world too, but it still baffles me. I guess the silver lining is more opportunities for those of us who do show up...and on time, at that. Good post.

    ReplyDelete