Thursday, April 16, 2009

Auditioning: A Little Advice

We’ve got auditions coming up at the end of the month. I have a love-hate relationship with auditions. Love: it is great to see all the talent out there in Vancouver. Hate: so many people do not know how to deliver a good audition. It isn’t just about your monologue. From the second you arrive (or don’t arrive) you are being judged. So from the perspective of one director/artistic producer here are the things I look for in a good audition:

1. SHOW UP ON TIME. Seriously. If you can’t show up to an audition on time, what makes me think that you will show up to rehearsals on time? Please don’t waste my time (or anyone else’s for that matter).

*Also, if you fail to show at all, don’t expect me to look at you the following year.

2. BRING A HARD COPY OF BOTH YOUR RESUME & HEADSHOT. Again, so many people show up without these things. If I see 100 hundred people audition for me, how am I supposed to remember who you are without a headshot or a resume?

3. WEAR NEUTRAL CLOTHING. A little story/anecdote: once upon a time a young lady came to an audition wearing sweatpants underneath a skirt, some oversized peasant-type top and her hair in pigtails. The director could only picture her playing a bag-lady on Little House on the Prairie. The End.

4. NO PROPS REQUIRED. Another little story: once upon a time a different young lady came to an audition with a bag full of clothes. She took 5 minutes setting them up all over the room then proceeded to throw them around the room in a fit throughout the monologue. The director could only picture her playing a psychopath. The End.

* Seriously though, worry about the delivery of your monologue, not your props. I want to see YOU not how well you can work with a prop.

5. MEMORIZE YOUR MONOLOGUE. Again. If you don’t spend the time preparing and learning your lines for an audition, what makes me think that you will be able to do this during rehearsals? And last but not least…

6. RELAX. I know how nerve racking it can be (if I was you I would be shaking uncontrollably) and I promise I won’t bite. If you f#%k up and need to start over, don’t sweat it. If you need to take a moment to gather yourself, do it. I don’t know about other directors but I want you to do well. I want you to blow me away and most importantly I want to support and encourage you. So just relax and show me what you’ve got.

~Sabrina Evertt
Artistic Producer/Director

4 comments:

  1. 7. BE KIND TO THE HELPERS. Be kind to the person who signs you in when you arrive to your auditions, and to anyone who is helping to keep things moving. Likely, these people are there to help the Director and will have the opportunity to share their thoughts on the auditionees.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes! Thank you Lois! Very Important. If I hear anything negative about your behaviour/attitude I will not cast you no matter how talented you may be. As I said, I don't know about other directors but I don't work with "prima donna's". I will choose enthusiasm and willingness to learn over talent any day of the week.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just to comment on the props one - I think there are times when props are valid. I remember a monologue about a girl killing her cat (I think) with a hammer and she brought a hammer out of her bag. This was the sweetest kindest looking girl and her bringing that hammer out to demonstrate really hit the monologue home.
    I think it's moderation. We rarely ask people for a monologue because quite frankly I don't know how much we can truly gather from a prepared monologue - however with songs (auditioning for musicals) the less movement the better. Small outfit accents (red shoes, for example) are helpful too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great advice, notwithstanding the subjectivity of different casting directors. I have heard some CDs (film) explain that wearing character's wardrobe is helpful because producers and directors sometimes aren't as visionary (or thoughtful) as CDs. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete