Friday, March 27, 2009

What's Next?!

So, where are we: I’ve secured the rights & the venue. I am in the midst of blackmailing everyone I know into donating their precious $$$ to the production. But, what is next? People. I need people. And trust me when I say, you always need more people than you anticipate.

Our first year of production, I had absolutely NO idea how much work it would be. None. Zippo. Zilch! Seriously, if I had any clue I may not have done it at all. However, in my complete ignorance I jumped head first into the deep end. By the time September rolled around and the show had come to a close I was practically comatose. I not only produced and directed the bloody thing but I also did anything and everything else from doing the job of a technical director to acting as the marketing/publicity person. I’m still not quite sure how I managed to do it all without imploding.

I learned my lesson and the next year (yes, I am glutton for punishment) I doubled the amount of people on the creative/production team. My two absolute must-have team members without whom I would definitely spontaneously combust are an Associate Producer or Production Assistant and a Production Manager. The Associate Producer/Production Assistant basically takes over the producing job once we get into the rehearsal phase so that I can focus on my job as the Director. The Production Manager co-ordinates all the technical aspect of the show such as liaising with the venue and overseeing construction of the set & costumes. This way, I never have to be the “bad” guy and as the Director I can create a safe and collaborative environment between the designers and myself.

Thus, let me introduce you to Heather Young. She has been the Production Manager for 2 years running and will be again this year. She is my saving grace and without her I seriously don’t know what I would do. Throughout the production I thank god every day that she is there to keep everyone in line…er, moving in the right direction.

(Heather's Blog post to come shortly)

~Sabrina Evertt
Artistic Producer

No comments:

Post a Comment